Nur Uddin, one of the 23 crew members on the MV Abdullah ship, returned to Chattogram today after being freed from Somali pirates.

Since Tuesday noon, his wife Jannatul Ferdous was waiting at berth number one of the Chattogram port, holding their two-and-half-year-old child in her arms, applying mehendi (henna) on her hands.

Around 4:15 in the afternoon, the ship MV Jahan Moni docked at the berth with the 23 sailors.

The ship was a little distance from the dock, and the sailors were visible. Jannatul Ferdous could hardly wait to catch a glimpse of her beloved husband.

She was calling the ship repeatedly from the shore and waving. She also asked her husband to wave back. The camera captured the moment when she waved her mehendi-adorned hand.

When Nur Uddin disembarked, it was a tearful reunion. Family members shared emotional moments. The port authorities then welcomed the 23 sailors.

During the conversation, Jannatul Ferdous mentioned that she runs a cake business and is an online entrepreneur.

"Today is like Eid for me. I applied mehendi yesterday because my husband was coming back. I have been waiting for my husband's return for the past two months. During his captivity, I prayed to Allah during every prayer, asking for his safe return. Today, Allah has answered my prayers and brought my husband back," Jannat shared while talking to UNB.

The 23 crew members of MV Abdullah, which was released on April 14 after 31 days of captivity by Somali pirates, finally met their families as the vessel reached the Chattogram port on Tuesday afternoon.

The vessel, which was hijacked for 33 days, departed Al-Hamriya Port in the United Arab Emirates for Bangladesh on April 28 after unloading 55,000 metric tonnes of coal.

MV Abdullah initially anchored at the UAE port on the evening of April 22, following its release from pirates' captivity.

The ship first arrived at the outer anchorage of the port on April 21, following its ordeal which began on March 12 when it was seized by Somali pirates about 600 nautical miles off the Somali coast en route from Mozambique to Dubai.

The pirates took control of the vessel and its crew, holding them until a ransom of Tk 55 crore facilitated their release on the night of April 13.

Leave a Comment

Recent Posts