Two teenage shooters opened fire at a San Diego mosque on Monday and killed three men - then killed themselves a few blocks away - in an attack police are investigating as a hate crime. There was no specific threat made against the Islamic Centre of San Diego but authorities found evidence that the suspects engaged in "generalised hate rhetoric," San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said. He declined to give more details, but said the "circumstances that led up to this" would come out in the days ahead.

Before the attack, officers were already looking for one of the teenagers since his mother called police concerned that her son was suicidal and had run away, Wahl said. There were weapons missing from the home and the mother's vehicle was gone, he added. As officers continued interviewing the mother about places the teens might be, they got reports of a shooting at the mosque. Among those killed was a mosque security guard, who police believe "played a pivotal role" in keeping the attack from being "much worse," Wahl said.

US federal prosecutors announced charges against former Cuban President Raúl Castro in the 1996 downing of civilian planes operated by Miami-based exiles as the Trump administration escalated pressure on the socialist government. The indictment was related to Castro's alleged role in the shootdown of two small planes operated by the exile group Brothers to the Rescue. Castro, now 94, was Cuba's defence minister at the time. The charges included murder and destruction of an airplane.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche and other top Justice Department officials made the announcement in Miami at a ceremony to honour those killed in the shootdown. "For nearly 30 years, the families of four murdered Americans have waited for justice," Blanche said. "They were unarmed civilians and were flying humanitarian missions for the rescue and protection of people fleeing oppression across the Florida straits." American authorities may go to any length to bring Castro to face the charges in the US, as they did with Maduro.

Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin issued a joint condemnation of "irresponsible" US foreign policy, warning of "a drift back to the law of the jungle". The statement came after the Chinese and Russian leaders held a summit in Beijing that followed a visit to the capital by Donald Trump. The exchanges between Xi and Putin were notably warm and their summit appeared to be more substantive than Xi's meetings with the US president.

In their joint statement, Xi and Putin said they looked forward to further bilateral cooperation ranging from artificial intelligence to the protection of rare tigers, leopards and pandas. However, they failed to finalise an agreement over a pipeline that would allow Russia to double its fossil gas exports to China. Industry observers suggested that pricing was the biggest obstacle to a contract being signed. The spectacle of the leaders of the cold war superpowers flying thousands of miles to sit down with Xi underlined the Chinese president's status on the global stage.

Doses of the "most promising" potential vaccine against the Bundibugyo virus that is causing an Ebola outbreak in central Africa will not be available for six to nine months, the World Health Organisation said, as the number of suspected cases rose to 600. Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the WHO, told a press briefing on the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda, that there had been 139 deaths, with numbers expected to rise.

Officials said they believe the disease may have started its spread "a couple of months ago", aided by a "super-spreader event", possibly a funeral, in early May. The security situation in Ituri province, where more than 100,000 people have been displaced in recent months because of armed conflict, had complicated detection efforts, Tedros said. Health facilities could not provide care or surveillance for disease outbreaks if health workers were fleeing, he said.

Leave a Comment

Recent Posts