The whole world is panicked with COVID-19. It has brought about a change in the way we lead our life. We all are worried about the 'new normal' situation of the post-pandemic world and seeking for the answer of how will be the post-pandemic look like? As the COVID-19 is a contagious disease it can be spread from one place to another via a different type of vector. To ensure safety of the mass population we must keep social distance and avoid crowded mass transits. After lifting lockdown, there will be a crisis of transport as the mass people try to avoid public transport to keep social distance. Though some people shall use their private cars to escape crowds most of the people have no safe transport system. It will be a curse in the post-COVID-19 era. A return to the mass use of private vehicles will not allow governments to meet their sustainable development objectives. Due to the COVID-19, public transport usage has fallen significantly as an increasing number of people choose to walk or ride bicycles to avoid crowded mass transits and follow DGHS's advice for physical distancing. For this reason, there will be a need for alternative, safe, greener, healthy and sustainable transport systems; Bicycle can be a solution to this problem. According to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), investing in pedestrians and cyclists - who often make up the majority of citizens in a city - can save lives, help protect the environment and support poverty reduction. Bicycle is an affordable, reliable and sustainable means of transportation, it fosters environmental stewardship and good health, providing a cost-effective form of transport while reducing the risk of heart disease, stroke, certain cancers, diabetes, and even death, according to the World Health Organization. Safe infrastructure for walking and cycling is also a pathway for achieving greater health equity. Cycling is a means for increasing physical activity and becoming physically is the prerequisite for good health.
There is also some benefit of cycling which listed below-
• The bicycle is a simple, affordable, reliable, clean and environmentally fit sustainable means of transportation;
• The bicycle can serve as a tool for development and as a means not just of transportation but also of access to education, health care and sport;
• The synergy between the bicycle and the user fosters creativity and social engagement and gives the user an immediate awareness of the local environment;
• The bicycle is a symbol of sustainable transportation and conveys a positive message to foster sustainable consumption and production, and has a positive impact on climate.
• Cycling helps to improve mental well-being
• Cycling promotes weight loss
• Cycling helps to builds muscle
• Improve lung health
• Bicycle also save time which is important for all.
• Cycling strengthens the immune system
These are the benefit of using a bicycle in our daily life. To protect us from coronavirus and to lead a healthy life bicycle can be the best option in the post-pandemic world. It is also a greener way of transport that doesn't harm the environment. The bicycle shall be used as a 'greener recovery' in the post-pandemic world. Let's try the bicycle to keep social distance and protect us from the bite of COVID-19. We are for the greener and sustainable post-pandemic world where bicycle shall be a driver!
Md Billal Hossen, MS student, Department of Applied Nutriton and Food Technology, Faculty of Biological Science, Islamic University, Bangladesh.
Leave a Comment
In its most urgent and scathing statement yet on the situation in Bang ...
For a man described as 'America’s preeminent foreign-policy thin ...